SETI public: Re: SETI LNA OR DISH

From: Dr. H. Paul Shuch (n6tx@setileague.org)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 08:40:10 PST

        Allow me to try one last time to clarify your confusion. As explained in
my editorial at <http://www.setileague.org/editor/setisci.htm>, SETI is a
science, not a single search. There are many different SETI experiments
conducted around the world, by a variety of organizations. One of them,
the SETI@home distributed computing experiment with which you are
apparently familiar, is run by friends of mine at the University of
California, Berkeley. Public participation is possible (in fact, is
encouraged), and does indeed require an occasiional internet connection.
This is discussed online, at <http://www.setileague.org/general/setihome.htm>.
        My organization, The SETI League, is not directly involved with SETI@home,
although we support it. Ours is a worldwide alliance of 1300 amateur radio
astronomers in 62 countries. Mostly, we build radio telescopes. Already,
our members have over 110 small radio telescopes on the air, with many more
under construction. The LNA plans that I previously pointed out to you
were prepared for their benefit. Many such amplifiers (and, in fact, whole
stations) have been built, but by individuals possessing a background in
electronics. Like ham radio and computer networking, this is a technical
hobby, requiring some specialized background and training. It is not an
appropriate pursuit for everybody.
        I have in my bedroom a well restored 19th Century Italian violin, capable
of making beautiful music. But I cannot simply put it in the hands of
anybody, and expect beautiful music to issue forth. So it is with radio
astronomy receive equipment. SETI@home is more like a good stereo, which
most of us can operate.
        The SETI League's efforts to build more radio telescopes were never meant
to replace, or supplant, the SETI@home internet connection. (In fact, our
efforts started more than four years before the SETI@home project was
launched.)
        No, an LNA designed for DBS satellite reception will NOT work well as part
of a SETI radio telescope. Whoever sold you DBS equipment for this
specialized application was misinformed, and apparently misinformed you.
If you want to study microwave electronics, and learn how to build and
operate your own SETI receiving eqiupment, then there are hundreds of SETI
League volunteers around the world who will be happy to help. But please
do not think of our project as a replacement for your internet connection,
or an adjunct to the SETI@home distributed computing experiment. They are
different research, with different goals altogether.
        You asked what we would see if we had a proper wideband feed. For an
example of some interesting SETI@home anomalies observed to date, see
<http://www.setileague.org/photos/homehits.htm>. For a look at what SETI
League members are seeing with their own radio telescopes, take a look at
<http://www.setileague.org/photos/hits.htm>.
        Thank you for your interest in SETI, and I do apologize for any confusion.
        I invite all participants in The SETI League's PUBLIC open email list,
whether SETI League members or not, to share the above information with any
others who may harbor similar misconceptions.
        Yours for SETI success,
                Paul

At 11:44 AM 2/13/02 -0500, you wrote:

>I BEEN THERE LIKE TO KNOW LIKE THIS IS NOT A PARTS LIST OR BLUEPRINT BUT
>A PLACE TO BUY PARTS FROM . I SAY ANY ONE WHO HAS SETI SCREEN SAVE AND
>CAN RUN IT NEEDS INTERNET CONNECTION I WAS TOLD IF YOU GET THIS RADIO
>SCANNER AND SETI YOU DO NOT NEED INTERNET CONNECTIONS. WILL I DID AND NO
>WAY TO MAKE IT WORK. AND FOR THE LNAS I HAD ONE AND ONLY PICKED UP TV.
>LIKE DBS. WHO EVER TUNED IT TUNED IT WRONG AND SOLD IT TO ME FOR A LOT
>MORE THEN IT WAS WORTH. THANK YOU. IF THE HAD A WAY OF LIVE ONLINE FEEDS
>LIKE TO A SUPER COMPUTER LIKE AT NASA AND CAN USE THE COMPUTER FOR A
>SWEEP WHAT WOULD YOU SEE . ANY GOOD PEAKS OR DOOR OPENNER LIKE
>DOWNUNDER.F

H. Paul Shuch, Ph.D., CFII, FBIS
Executive Director, The SETI League, Inc.
433 Liberty Street, PO Box 555
Little Ferry NJ 07643 USA
voice (201) 641-1770; fax (201) 641-1771
n6tx@setileague.org www.setileague.org
Project Argus station FN11LH

"We Know We're Not Alone!"