Re: SETI seti@home getting impatient

Ed T. Toton III (etoton@uu.net)
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 14:50:55 -0400 (EDT)

Augh.. I expected that to happen, and yet it's still surprising. I
guess I will never truly comprehend the extent of human irrationality.
It is amusing though.

It is certainly a difficult proposition, to try to educate people
on certain concepts, such as how patience is a virtue, and that
the search (regardless of it's success or failure) can yield its
own rewards.

-Ed T.

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, prewar wrote:

> Hi,
> The funniest NG letters to be read are now on
> alt.sci.seti. Some folk are actually getting impatient
> that ET has not yet been found on their > that ET has not yet been found on their seti@home
> screen saver, after but a few short Earth months.
> (I believe the PC count is now 57,000 years of PC time)
>
> How long before they begin to leave in their droves
> because ET isn't obliging them with their impatience?
> > Seti@home is not an all sky search anyway.
>
> When will folk get ET into some perspective, and realise that
> he may not be found until their grandchildren are old and
> grey! Even if then!! It's gonna be a long haul folks.......
> ..."Patience is a virtue"
>

> albErT !!

Bones, Ed T. Toton III, System Programmer -- UUNET Server Operations
    "I have not lost my mind! It's backed up on disk somewhere."