SETI-L: Lucretius & Psionic ET Machines

walt_williams@setv.org
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 17:25:22 -0800

Robert,

That was a mouthful and interesting as well. But the burning
question in my mind, did he understand the idea? Or was he just
speculating with a genetically aberrant
(e.g., super-intelligent) mind for the times? Or maybe he too
observed an ET machine operating in the atmosphere of ancient
Earth? Of course this raises many questions, one of which seems
to be answered by the apparent phenomenal observations of many
witnesses who make claims which seems to suggest that a
bi-directional link existed between the observer and the
observed phenomenon-machine at time of observation. Perhaps that
could explain the his apparent aberational thinking?

Best Wishes,

Walt Williams, 99.09.20
OSR
=======================================

From: "Clements, Robert" <Robert.Clements@dva.gov.au>
To: "'MarcusJohn@aol.com'" <MarcusJohn@aol.com>, seti@sni.net
Subject: RE: SETI Lucretius.
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 08:30:38 +1000

The preSocratic tradition (to use Guthrie's useful definition:
technically, Lucretius is a Helenistic philosopher postdating
Socrates by several centuries; but he's following atomist thought
originally developed by Leucippus & Democritus & developed by
Epicurus) in Greek philosophy is filled with astonishing
speculations of this kind: one of the most was by Democritus, who
is said to have speculated on single atoms the size of the
universe. Greek thought was profoundly (almost paranoically, in
the case of Parmenides; which Plato followed as diligently as
Gorgias parodied him heartily) rational; & therefore tended to
assume that if something was rational, it (in a most basic sense)
somehow was... a way of thinking which made speculations like
this particularly rewarding. Evolutionary speculations -
including the wildly fantastical (but logically coherent)
visionary approach of Empedocles - were also commonplace; which
only goes to show that ancient Greece was nowhere near
contemporary Kansas.

The University of Hanover in Indiana is working on an online
history of philosophy; but the none of the atomist thinkers are
currently online. The URL is:
http://history.hanover.edu/project.html

All the best,
Robert Clements <Robert.Clements@dva.gov.au>