Re: SETI GPS satellite info

Brian Wong (bw@logis.com)
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 19:40:25 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Boyd Fox <foxd@indiana.edu>
To: seti@sni.net <seti@sni.net>
Date: Sunday, September 19, 1999 4:09 PM
Subject: SETI GPS satellite info

>Hi,
>
>Does anybody know where on the web the locations of GPS satellites can be
>found at a particular time? What I am looking for is the locations on
>9/18/1999 at 2114 UTC from grid square EN69RD. I am testing a detection
>algorithm and got an extremely strong signal and would like to know just
>how close the GPS satellite was. My dish was pointed south at 28 degrees
>above the horizon, however I don't know if the signal came in that route
>or was picked up by the cables somehow has the satellite went by
>overhead.
>
>73,
>Daniel Fox
>KF9ET

If you're interested in specifically where in the sky an Iridium sat is then
go to this URL. It will tell you where, in Alt/Az, and when to look in the
sky. Just input your lat/long, or look up your town in the DB, and it will
generate a report of sat passes for the major pieces of hardware overhead.
See:
http://www2.gsoc.dlr.de/satvis/

But if you're looking specifically for orbital elements for more detailed
tracking info and predictions see:
http://www2.satellite.eu.org/sat/vsohp/otherinfo.html

In case anyone is interested, there's a new com sat project called
"Teledesic" that will begin ops in 2004. It will have a constellation of
288 satellites dwarfing the ~75 Iridium sats. But at least Teledesic will
operate in the Ka band (Downlinks operate between 18.8 GHz and 19.3 GHz, and
uplinks operate between 28.6 GHz and 29.1 GHz.)
For more info see: http://www.teledesic.com/

73,
Brian