Re: SETI Re: The Center of the Universe

Henry Wallace (ultrasonic@worldnet.att.net)
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 21:57:37 -0500

Randy Stegemeyer wrote:

> According to my reference on cosmology, Foundations of Modern Cosmology
by John
> F. Hawley and Katherine A. Holcomb (Oxford University Press, 1998):
>
>...which asserts that all points and directions in the universe are more
or less >equivalent...

This was the view...

Now, however, Hubble is reportedly "seeing"
to near the "edge" of the universe, at least
in one direction.

This would imply that at least one direction,
the direction in which we might be seeing the
beginning of the universe, is "special".

Suppose Hubble could "see to the edge" in
any direction. The objects at the edge would
have large doppler, the largest we have seen.
If these doppler-shifts were more or less constant
in every direction, then there would be no room
to argue that the assumption of modern cosmology
for an isotropic universe is correct. Basically, every
point in the universe are receeding from each other,
with each having equal claim to have been at the
origin of the Big Bang.

But, thus far, I have only heard of the one report,
the one direction in which we might be seeing
the Edge.

If this persists, one could very well argue that
Earth is closest to the Edge, in this particular
direction.

Henry
Ultrasonic Energy Systems: Building near
megahertz high-intensity ultrasonic sources...
Please visit us at:
http://www.ultrasonic-energy.com/