SETI COPY: Server Woes: S@h Tech Report

Robert Owen (rowen@technologist.com)
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 15:03:26 -0400

There are widespread reports of inability to access There are widespread reports of inability to access S@h server.
I uploaded successfully, but receive the usual WINSOCK ERROR
NUMBER 10060 when attempting to download new WU. Perhaps others
can contribute to this. This is the most recent Tech Report
available to me. [RMO]

SETI@home Technical News Reports

September 8, 1999

The new server configuration is finally online. The "science" part of the database
(tapes,workunits, spikes, gaussians) has been moved to the 450. Several tables
were frozen while this was in progress; that's why our statistics flatlined for a
few days. Most of our software had to be modified to use the correct database.

Over the past weekend we experienced a combination of server crashes and
university wide network problems. The network problems were resolved on
Monday. We have installed the most up to date kernel patch to our data server.
In addition, we are exploring possible SCSI bus issues, also on the data server.
Because of the lengthy outages, we had a backlog of connection requests all
day yesterday which resulted in widespread inability to connect.

Robert M. Owen
Director
The Orion Institute
57 W. Morgan Street