Re: SETI ET's problem with Doppler.

David Woolley (david@djwhome.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 08:14:08 +0100 (BST)

> Is it yet possible to estimate Earth's position/
> velocity relative to the Universal Center??

My vague understanding of current cosmology is that the current belief
is that the universe is infinite, but also had infinite density at the
start of the big bang. As such, there would be no centre.

This all tends to be an unintuitive area, as, for example one theory
(inflation) requires that in the very early life of the universe, it
was expanding faster than light.