Re: SETI ET's problem with Doppler.

Dr. H. Paul Shuch (n6tx@setileague.org)
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 09:48:24 -0400

At 09:32 AM 9/10/99 +0100, prewar wrote:

>What chance do we really have if ET's TX freqs stay
>fixed ??

The Ohio State University SETI program from the late (lamented) Big Ear
radio telescope had an innovative way of dealing with the problem. They
chirped their receiver's LO, correcting frequency for the Earth's motion
with respect to the Galactic center of rest. Bob Dixon reasoned that a
helpful civilization would similarly correct its transmit frequency
relative to the same reference (which is the only one the transmitting and
receiving locations would be able to identify in common). I believe this
is the scheme which was in use when the "Wow!" signal was detected.

H. Paul Shuch, Ph.D., CFII, FBIS
Executive Director, The SETI League, Inc.
433 Liberty Street, PO Box 555
Little Ferry NJ 07643 USA
voice (201) 641-1770; fax (201) 641-1771
n6tx@setileague.org www.setileague.org
Project Argus station FN11LH

"We Know We're Not Alone!"