Re: SETI encounter message

Yvan Dutil (Yvan.Dutil@drev.dnd.ca)
Thu, 02 Sep 1999 15:21:39 -0400

At 08:57 PM 9/2/99 +0300, Nico L. wrote:
> [Image]
>
> Message to the Stars << back to HOME
> [Image] The broadcast, which was made in 2.5 hour increments
> over four days, was, once again, a binary coded
>[Image][Image]image, very much like the 1974 Arecibo message. It describes
> the solar system, earthly life, and some simple mathematical
> relationships. As it turns out, there are some errors in the
> math of the message which were found too late to be corrected
> in this broadcast, but presumably the extraterrestrials won't
> mind. The 1974 Arecibo message is also being re-sent by
> Cosmic Call. The targets of the broadcast are four nearby
> stars, roughly 60 light-years distant.

I must say this kind of problem happen when you butch your job. I ask for a
web page to have the message become public before the transmission. This way
all the bug would have been found long time before the transmission. In place,
I had to search the web to find volonteers which is had been more less
effective.

By the way, I was against the tarnsmission of the Arecibo message. This just
destroy all the work we have done. They did it because there marquetting
division promisse to do it!!!

Yvan Dutil