Re: SETI: Wild speculations time

David Woolley (david@djwhome.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 08:19:32 +0100 (BST)

> If that energy waste is large enough we might detect it just because we
> are looking, hearing, and watching for anything that comes out of the
> background, or above the noise.

Waste energy is normally radiated as broadband energy in the far
infra-red. Without high resolution equipment, it would be masked
by the Sun's radiation, and, in any case, without a historic record,
they would not know what the normal level of radiation from the earth
should be.

Optical and microwave SETI work on the basis that the energy is
concentrated into very narrow bands, so far exceeds the thermal
radiation from the sun in those bands.