Re: SETI Helping outsiders learn, while focussing ourselves.

David Woolley (david@djwhome.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:49:12 +0100 (BST)

> That's correct. Altavista and the other large search engines run automated
> robotic index programs that scour the net. Any publicly exposed web pages
> will sooner or later be indexed by these "Bots" unless the META tag of the
> HTML page is set to deflect robot indexing.

Unless you do it the old way, using robots.txt, you can't rely on all
spiders obeying - actually, I don't fully understand why MS invented
this particular META tag, except possibly for people with only access
to part of a site (robots.txt has to be at the root level).

> A little Javascript and the SL web site will instantly have search
> capability.

Javascript can be fatal to spiders, as they cannot follow links obfuscated
by it; not that they would want to follow links to themselves.
Also, in some contexts, I think it is possible to use pure HTML and some
search engines may encourage this (others may consider it theft of service
to bypass their home page, so check first).