SETI Institute Web pages on Active SETI

Larry Klaes (lklaes@bbn.com)
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:29:06 -0400

Apparently due to the recent radio transmissions
to some nearby stars with Encounter 2001 and the
other plans for Active SETI, The SETI Institute
is addressing this with the following Web pages:

http://www.seti-inst.edu/broadcast.html

To quote in part:

"The occasional short messages that are currently being
done as commercial "demo" projects do not substantially
contribute to the existing leakage radiation already
being pumped into space by television and radar.

"Only when we are willing to commit the resources to build
a powerful, long-lived radio beacon can we be said to be
taking serious steps to actively get in touch."

Larry