SETI Quote of the Day for July 27, 1999

Larry Klaes (lklaes@bbn.com)
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 09:17:47 -0400

"Since the chemical substance of our being was inherited
from stars, we may share kinship with other living
inhabitants of the Universe. If so, we should press
our search for their existence, perhaps some far-distant
day contributing to, and benefiting from, an active
membership in a galactic community.

"Seemingly, the multiplication of cultural ideas within such
a supercivilization would be proportionately as great as was
the case when permanent civilizations of humans formed here
on Earth.

"If, however, Earth hosts the sole biosystem in the Universe,
we perhaps bear the responsibility for propagating the life
process outward from this Garden of Eden.

"Either way, although minute and temporary configurations
of matter, we can appreciate the fortunate circumstance
that some spark has endowed us with life. As a popular
song has succinctly stated: 'Life is rough...Compared with
what?'"

   - George A. Seielstad, Chapter 7: "Biological Evolution",
     page 124, from Cosmic Ecology: The View from the Outside
     In, University of California Press, Berkeley, 1983