Re: Probality one for SETI contact?

Alfred A. Aburto Jr. (aburto@cts.com)
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 21:00:56 -0700

seti@home is looking for a strong signal that would last long enough
to be detectable a number of independent times. I think the beamwidth
of Arecibo is 0.05 degrees. Since it can not view the whole sky at once
I think the odds of detection (at any one instant of time) would be:
0.05 /(180*360) = 7.7E-07. Its about one chance in a million (assuming
Arecibo is looking at the right time!!). With all sky coverage as the
SETI League intends (eventually to achieve) then that 7.7E-07 factor
is converted to 1 (probability one)(provided one is looking at the right
time again!) ... We really need the all sky coverage!!

Al