SETI Re: PC Controlled Radios (was: [bogus subject] Is this an Europan?)

Marcia Steelman (steelm@bellsouth.net)
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 16:05:01 -0400

David,

Thanks for you answer. We are having a communication problem here, since
English is not my first language. Please bear with me.

Well, they are obviouly receivers, and that's why I thought we might
need one for that station <ROTFL>. When I said "receiver", I really
meant a stand alone receiver that does not need a computer to control
it. <grin>

I was really concerned about the computer generated noise, for the case
of the card, and I read the article of the vendor, but I don't trust it.
I already had my share of sales pitch with equipment, and that's why I
placed the question in the list. Additionally, in the SETI League there
is a warning against the internal cards, but there is also one of the
Argus stations that would be using it. That prompted my question.

We thought about using a PC controlled receiver (internal or external),
so Dan could use it. We both have Windows development tools (he is a
software developer, and I am do risk assessment modeling).

We could certainly write another program to control the card, but we
would not like to do it, since it would be a hell of a task, that's why
I asked if anybody had tried to use it, with a speech program. We would
rather spend our time to improve on something, taking us one step
further.

When you write about professional WinRadio, do you mean the 3000iDSP or
31000e?

Marcia S.