Re: SETI Satellite dishes & Seti League

Alfred A. Aburto Jr. (aburto@cts.com)
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 06:32:56 -0700

Thank you for your email Kerlin. I am helping the SETI LEAGUE's
Dr. SETI answer some of his email.

It is good that you are tracking the It is good that you are tracking the seti@home outputs. I started doing
this too after the 5'th data unit and I have completed a total of 28 data
units myself. I bought a record book and I log when each data unit starts
and all the pertinent parameters (RA, DEC, date-time-group, Frequency).
When a data unit completes I log the peak power and gaussian power
results and associated parameters and CPU Time. I don't need to do all
this of course but it is just interesting to me to see what little information
I can garner out of it (nothing like what the Berkeley group is getting though
with their 800,000 or so members).

Well, the answer to your question is that each subscriber to Well, the answer to your question is that each subscriber to seti@home
does not recieve uniformly sampled (distributed) data sets relative to the
water hole hydrogen line frequency. It could be for example that the
next 30 data sets you recieve will all be above the water hole hydrogen.
I checked my data too and I found data sets were all very close to the
hydrogen line frequency. 12 of my data units were above the hydrogen
line frequency and 11 below (I did not log the frequency for the other 5
data units I processed).

The other thing is that although you are accurate when you say the "water
hole band" lies between the hydrogen line frequency and the OH (hydroxyl)
line frequency, many of us are a bit "loose" about the definition. For example
I usually think of the "water hole" as the frequency band extending from
approximately 1 to 10 GHz as the place where the radio noise spectrum is
minimal (here on Earth). Above the Earths atmosphere the band extends
approximately 1 to 100 GHz ...

Hope I have answered your questions Kerlin.

Best Regards to you,

Al Aburto
aburto@cts.com

to. Send email to majordomo@klx.com with the following in the body
of the email (and nothing else): subscribe setiathome