Re: SETI Satellite dishes & Seti League

David Woolley (david@djwhome.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 08:57:22 +0100 (BST)

> Pardon me, sir, I thought that's exactly what The SETI League website did!

The problem is that there is a wide range of skill levels out there,
and a lot of, particularly the software, industry lives on the basis
of making people think that you can do anything without thinking.

Quite a common request on freeware support groups is for step by step
instructions on doing things (which often ignore the fact that every
case is different).

However, when I first read your site, I did experience the problem that
you made assumptions that people understood radio astronomy technology -
in particular, you freely used the term "integration gain" without
really explaining it - I think it took me a couple of attempts before
I inferred the correct definition.

For someone with less radio knowledge, I think a lot more of the site
might be difficult to understand (things like noise figures are
counter-intuitive to most people - they expect gain to be the figure
of merit).

On the other hand, people should expect every site to start by teaching
them infant (K?) school level arithmetic, to take things to extremes.