RE: SETI Satellites interfering with other space signals

Clements, Robert (Robert.Clements@dva.gov.au)
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 11:50:09 +1000

It's more accurate to say that the current window of opportunity seems to be
closing fractionally faster than improvements in technological sensitivity
can reopen it. Barring a distinct change in priorities on the part of the
rest of the world, it's difficult to believe that we can continue to do much
in the way of Earth-based astronomy (inc. SETI) beyond the first half of the
21st century; but by then, we may be in a position to start moving this
noise-sensitive research to quieter climes: most obviously the Lunar
farside. When the Moon gets too noisy, we'll just have to look at the
Edgeworth-Kuiper Belt, Oort Cloud & Proxima Centauri III, i guess....

All the best,

Robert Clements <Robert.Clements@dva.gov.au>
<http://www.ausnet.net.au/~clemensr/welcome.htm>