Re: SETI Last Night's X-Files

Larry Klaes (lklaes@bbn.com)
Tue, 06 Jul 1999 12:01:15 -0400

Big Ear Radio Observatory, which used to be at the
Ohio State University (OSU), has a Web page devoted
to the 1994 X-Files episode which featured the "Wow!"
signal of 1977.

This page includes a letter from Co-Executive Producer
Glen Morgan, who said he tried to help promote SETI with
this episode, but was "irked" at the lack of response.

This is probably because anyone who watches The X-Files
and takes it as anything more than entertainment is
convinced that "They" are "Here" and SETI is therefore
unnecessary, not to mention it is probably a Government
Conspiracy Coverup Red Herring.

http://www.bigear.org/xfiles.htm

For more about the real OSU "Wow!" signal and a
brief history of Big Ear:

http://www.bigear.org/wowmenu.htm

http://seti1.setileague.org/articles/bigear.htm

Images from the last days of Big Ear, which in
my view was not saved due to a lack of strong
enough support for what was the longest-running
SETI project on Earth. This is yet another reason
why we probably have not received an ETI signal.

http://seti1.setileague.org/photos/wowpix.htm

Larry