SETI@Home Client on CNET

Tomi Skytta (tomis@netscape.net)
29 Jun 99 11:03:08 EET DST

Hello, I read on the I read on the SETI@Home web page, that copies of the client downloaded on sites other than their own are considered a security risk for accuracy of the results. In view of the possibility of hackers and other trouble makers I can understand this. My point is that the "download.com" section of CNET offers the client for downloading. I went back to check what FTP sites CNET draws from for this download and apart from sites that appeared to be SETI related, there was also the well known "ftp.cdrom.com" site. CNET is definitely a prominent and respectable site on the web, but I am curious whether respectable site on the web, but I am curious whether SETI@Home approves of the fact that the client software is being offered through CNET. If not CNET should be informed and should remove it to prevent problems. Tomi Skytta Finland ____________________________________________________________________ Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://webmail.netscape.com.