RE: SETI NIDS Press Release - "Day After Contact"

Yvan Dutil (Yvan.Dutil@drev.dnd.ca)
Tue, 08 Jun 1999 08:20:57 -0400

My guess is: the first news >_will_ be news; but within a few weeks (& quite conceivably in the >hiatus between the detection of a signal & the understanding of what the >signal actually is) it will stop being a story & become some kind of >background fact. Doesn't mean there won't be a few Heaven's Gates, of >course; only that broadbased chaos & social disruption won't be on the >agenda. Dont understimate the risk of first contact. If there is any valuable thecnological information inside the message, the effect maybe extremelly disruptive on our society. It may completly disrupt our academic and economic structure. In fact, I think is thaht most UFO follower hope: boot the ass of scientist and big corporations. Yvan Dutil