SETI NIDS Press Release - "Day After Contact"

Dr. H. Paul Shuch (n6tx@setileague.org)
Mon, 07 Jun 1999 18:50:09 -0400

Posted on behalf of Eric Davis, NIDS: >{{ >PRESS RELEASE > >June 7, 1999 > >HOW WOULD HUMANS REACT IF E.T. LANDED? >NASA and the scientific community are actively searching for evidence >of extraterrestrial life, but what if we were confronted with >undeniable proof that ETs exist and have been visiting Earth? > >A nationwide survey by the Roper Organization has uncovered the >following: > >...one out of four Americans think most people would "totally freak >out and panic" if such evidence were confirmed. > >...eighty percent of influential Americans think the US government >would classify or suppress evidence of extraterrestrial life. }} > >The full press release is located at >http://www.accessnv.com/nids/RoperDayAfter.shtml > >NIDS just completed an important sociological/behavioral study on the >American Public's reaction to confirmation of unambiguous contact with >intelligent extraterrestrials. We hired the Roper Poll organization >to conduct a nationwide survey on our behalf. We just put out a >Press Release today on this because the study was extremely remarkable >for showing the attitudes the American Public would have in this >regard. The 1961 Brookings Institute Report (and 1967 RAND study) >given to Congress stated that these studies needed to be conducted to >gauge the public's reaction for policy purposes in light of historical >precedence of major changes to a society when it encounters superior >beings. No such studies where ever conducted until now. > >Would you please post our Press Release at >http://www.accessnv.com/nids >(click on the large Press Release link) >or go straight to >http://www.accessnv.com/nids/RoperDayAfter.shtml, >on your e-mailing lists? >There's also a paper by my colleagues giving a historical overview and >analysis of the topic at >http://www.accessnv.com/nids/KelleherHarrison.shtml > >NIDS is also conducting a nonscientific online survey for which we'll >do a comparison of those results with the Roper Poll data. Our online >survey is at http://www.accessnv.com/nids/survey_questions.shtml > >Thanks, > >Eric > >Eric W. Davis, Ph.D., FBIS >Aerospace Physics & Astrophysics Div. >National Inst. for Discovery Science > > -------------------------------- H. Paul Shuch, Ph.D., CFII, FBIS Executive Director, The SETI League, Inc. 433 Liberty Street, PO Box 555 Little Ferry NJ 07643 USA voice (201) 641-1770; fax (201) 641-1771 n6tx@setileague.org www.setileague.org Project Argus station FN11LH "We Know We're Not Alone!"