SETI Marvin Minsky on Communicating with ETI

Larry Klaes (lklaes@bbn.com)
Mon, 07 Jun 1999 18:40:55 -0400

An editorial I wrote on the subject of whales being an example of trying to communicate with ETI for SETIQuest magazine in 1995 has recently been republished here: http://www.et-presence.ndirect.co.uk/Articles/Guest/can_we.htm The cover page of SETIQuest Volume 1, Number 4: http://www.coseti.org/sq_v1_n4.htm Nothing shattering, but in that issue (Volume 4, Number 1), you will find an article by Marvin Minsky of MIT on "Communication with Alien Intelligence", originally published in Extraterrestrials: Science and Alien Intelligence (Edward Regis, Ed.), Cambridge University Press, 1985. Also published in Byte Magazine, April, 1985. The complete article is also online at this URL: http://www.ai.mit.edu/people/minsky/papers/AlienIntelligence.html Marvin Minsky's Home Page has plenty of other such relevant subjects to explore: http://www.ai.mit.edu/people/minsky/minsky.html Plus his interview in HAL's Legacy, MIT Press, 1997, as well as the entire book and the question of what is intelligence and how does/can one communicate: http://mitpress.mit.edu/e-books/Hal/chap2.java/two1.html Larry