Re: SETI FW: Life on Jovian moon unlikely

Alfred A. Aburto Jr. (aburto@cts.com)
Sun, 06 Jun 1999 19:11:39 -0700

Yes, and I hope to live long enough to see us exploring Europa! I can hardly wait actually! By the way, another interesting and very well written book on this subject of the beginnings of life on Earth is J. William Schopf's recent book: "Cradle of Life, The Discovery of Earth's Earliest Fossils", Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey, 1999, ISBN 0-691-00230-4 .... Al Aburto > Chris Boyce wrote: > Absolutely Al! I understood that the tidal energy which keeps the ocean > liquid was the engine believed to drive the putative life system. After all, > if Io is an indicator, there's going to be plenty of sulfur in that ocean to > supply the base of a trophic pyramid. > > Best regards > > Chris Boyce > > ET-Presence - http://www.et-presence.ndirect.co.uk/ > HOGMANAYCON - http://www.ndirect.co.uk/~cb/conpage.htm > ----- Original Message ----- > From: Alfred A. Aburto Jr. <aburto@cts.com> > To: Cecchini, Ron <Ron.Cecchini@GSC.GTE.Com> > Cc: 'SETI' <seti@sni.net> > Sent: 05 June 1999 03:03 > Subject: Re: SETI FW: Life on Jovian moon unlikely > > > This is wrong! They forgot about the bacteria, the so called > > 'autotrophs', > > that flourish around deep undersea hydrothermal vents. These bacteria > > thrive at the bottom of the sea (miles below the sea surface) where there > > > > is no (NO) sunlight at all! > > > > Life has managed to survive on Earth for nearly 4 billion years! Life > > is robust! It is found everywhere we look. > > > > I'd wager there is life on Europa. Well, a couple of dollars at least :-) > > > > Al Aburto Jr. > > > > > "Cecchini, Ron" wrote: > > > > > *** Life on Jovian moon unlikely > > > > > > LOS ANGELES (AP) - Jupiter's moon Europa probably could not support > > > life because oceans beneath the frozen surface could barely support > > > single-cell organisms let alone complex species, researchers say. > > > Some scientists had suggested oceans exist beneath the frozen surface > > > on Europa, boosting theories that life could develop on Jupiter's > > > fourth-largest moon. The ocean theory was suggested by data from > > > NASA's Galileo spacecraft. But a layer of ice at least 6 miles deep > > > blocks the sun's life-sustaining energy from the water, according to > > > a paper published in Friday's issue of the journal Science. See > > > http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2559796207-4a9 > >