Re: SETI FW: Life on Jovian moon unlikely

Alfred A. Aburto Jr. (aburto@cts.com)
Fri, 04 Jun 1999 19:03:06 -0700

This is wrong! They forgot about the bacteria, the so called 'autotrophs', that flourish around deep undersea hydrothermal vents. These bacteria thrive at the bottom of the sea (miles below the sea surface) where there is no (NO) sunlight at all! Life has managed to survive on Earth for nearly 4 billion years! Life is robust! It is found everywhere we look. I'd wager there is life on Europa. Well, a couple of dollars at least :-) Al Aburto Jr. > "Cecchini, Ron" wrote: > *** Life on Jovian moon unlikely > > LOS ANGELES (AP) - Jupiter's moon Europa probably could not support > life because oceans beneath the frozen surface could barely support > single-cell organisms let alone complex species, researchers say. > Some scientists had suggested oceans exist beneath the frozen surface > on Europa, boosting theories that life could develop on Jupiter's > fourth-largest moon. The ocean theory was suggested by data from > NASA's Galileo spacecraft. But a layer of ice at least 6 miles deep > blocks the sun's life-sustaining energy from the water, according to > a paper published in Friday's issue of the journal Science. See > http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2559796207-4a9