Re: SETI [ASTRO] Trouble Brewing In Eta Carinae

Brian Straight (brians@mdbs.com)
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 09:08:30 -0500

Perhaps the situation is not quite so hopeless, though. Bursters appear to exhibit beaming behavior. In such a scenario, only inhabited solar systems in or close to the beam would be adversely affected at the distances you descibe. An Eta Carinae hypernova would produce a spectacular light show from as viewed from earth, but the question of effects at the surface is more debatable. I suspect the beaming would probably carry away most of the energy in other directions. But we could still be left with the effects of more of a 'normal' supernova event for locations outside the beam. I'm not sure how 7500 light years or so would mitigate such effects. Perhaps there would be some detectable upper atmospheric heating, but not much more. Hopefully an expert on such events can comment further. Brian -----Original Message----- From: Alfred A. Aburto Jr. <aburto@cts.com> To: MarcusJohn@aol.com <MarcusJohn@aol.com> Cc: lklaes@bbn.com <lklaes@bbn.com>; seti@sni.net <seti@sni.net> Date: Friday, June 04, 1999 7:55 AM Subject: Re: SETI [ASTRO] Trouble Brewing In Eta Carinae >There was an article in Astronomy or Sky & Telescope (last year?) describing >a gamma ray burst from a collision of closely orbiting binary neutron stars. As I > >remember if this type of GRB were within 3000 LY of Earth it would wipe >out all life on the surface. Otherwise the Solar System would survive. > >Life deep in the ocean and deep underground would survive too ... there is >a huge biomass of bacteria within the Earth. I'm reading about this now in >Paul Davies book: "The Fifth Miracle" ... > >Al > > >> MarcusJohn@aol.com wrote: > >> In a message dated 6/3/99 11:16:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time, lklaes@bbn.com >> writes: >> >> > A gamma ray burster is such an >> > >cataclysmic event that it might even be hazardous at a distance of 7500 >> > >light years," said Davidson. >> >> There may be ETI's closer to this large star. If there are, they no doubt >> recognize the risk. Maybe the targeted searches, i.e. Phoenix, should start >> looking in that direction. >> >> Anyone care to measure this vaguely worded threat to our existence? What >> would happen if there were a large gamma ray burst at 7500 light years? Would >> our solar system be wiped away? Would we have warning? Or would it be >> physically nonviolent but sterilizing radiation? >> >> John. > >