Re: SETI [ASTRO] Trouble Brewing In Eta Carinae

Alfred A. Aburto Jr. (aburto@cts.com)
Fri, 04 Jun 1999 05:47:41 -0700

There was an article in Astronomy or Sky & Telescope (last year?) describing a gamma ray burst from a collision of closely orbiting binary neutron stars. As I remember if this type of GRB were within 3000 LY of Earth it would wipe out all life on the surface. Otherwise the Solar System would survive. Life deep in the ocean and deep underground would survive too ... there is a huge biomass of bacteria within the Earth. I'm reading about this now in Paul Davies book: "The Fifth Miracle" ... Al > MarcusJohn@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 6/3/99 11:16:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time, lklaes@bbn.com > writes: > > > A gamma ray burster is such an > > >cataclysmic event that it might even be hazardous at a distance of 7500 > > >light years," said Davidson. > > There may be ETI's closer to this large star. If there are, they no doubt > recognize the risk. Maybe the targeted searches, i.e. Phoenix, should start > looking in that direction. > > Anyone care to measure this vaguely worded threat to our existence? What > would happen if there were a large gamma ray burst at 7500 light years? Would > our solar system be wiped away? Would we have warning? Or would it be > physically nonviolent but sterilizing radiation? > > John.