Re: SETI at home: Where do we go now?

John Bush (jebush@ridgecrest.ca.us)
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 19:27:11 -0700 (PDT)

Kathie Kingsley-Hughes wrote: >If there are any inspired (or even satisfied <g>) >If there are any inspired (or even satisfied <g>) seti@home users out there >who want to do more and get deeper involvement, where do they go next? Not >everyone is willing or able to build an Argus station in their back yard (If >I were on my own I wouldn't know where to begin and the learning curve seems >just too great..). Is there anything else that we can offer the inspired >newbie SETIZEN? > Great question, Kingsley-Hughes! The gap between Great question, Kingsley-Hughes! The gap between SETI@home on one's PC and an Argus station is huge indeed. I too am at the bottom of the learning curve; am on my own, but not alone, because of SETI League. >If the problems with >If the problems with seti@home haven't dulled (or axed) Joe Public's >interest in SETI, what can we do to take it beyond a number-crunching >screensaver with minimal feedback ... ? > Give the guys a chance. This is version 1 of the software. On the Give the guys a chance. This is version 1 of the software. On the SETI@home www site you can read: "We'll release new versions of the client software (probably next week) that will deal with server problems in a more user-friendly way." Well, OK "(probably next week)" may just be Well, OK "(probably next week)" may just be SETI@home guru's little joke, but let's cut the guys a little slack. I was running the GIMPS, the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search software since last October. Version 17 ... think about it; version 17 ... think about it; version 17 ... SETI@home is still on version 1. And GIMPS version 17 turned out to be buggy. All my computer's work from October '98 'til April '99 was for naught. GIMPS survived and is now on version 18, last I checked. And who knows when GIMPS will discover the next Mersenne prime? Anyway, on the Anyway, on the SETI@home page there are links to some of the original papers describing the goals of describing the goals of SETI@home - as I recall some interesting ideas not yet implemented in their ver 1 software. Take a look; let's think about how SETI League might help SETI League might help SETI@home. For a price, of course :-) Sincerely, Joe Public