Re: SETI [ASTRO] Trouble Brewing In Eta Carinae

MarcusJohn@aol.com
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 22:12:36 EDT

In a message dated 6/3/99 11:16:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time, lklaes@bbn.com writes: > A gamma ray burster is such an > >cataclysmic event that it might even be hazardous at a distance of 7500 > >light years," said Davidson. There may be ETI's closer to this large star. If there are, they no doubt recognize the risk. Maybe the targeted searches, i.e. Phoenix, should start looking in that direction. Anyone care to measure this vaguely worded threat to our existence? What would happen if there were a large gamma ray burst at 7500 light years? Would our solar system be wiped away? Would we have warning? Or would it be physically nonviolent but sterilizing radiation? John.