SETI public: Distant Suns for SETI@Home

Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 12:00:13 -0500 (EST)
From: Ben Rhoades <brhoades@mail.med.upenn.edu>
Subject: Distant Suns for SETI@Home

Hi all,

I was just checking out the SETI page and just found the Distant Suns
adaptation for Windows at:

http://www.distantsuns.com/index_seti_at_home.html

Below is the description.  I'd guess that this program will slow
down your processing time a little but it sounds cool enough to be worth it.

Ben

Distant Suns is a full featured desktop astronomy program, and has
been one of the leaders in desktop science software since it
was first introduced in 1989. Containing a database of over 20,000
stars in the download version, and 16 million stars on the
CD-ROM version, Distant Suns will show you the sky from anywhere
on Earth or out in the Solar System.

Working in conjunction with the folks from SETI@Home this special
version of Distant Suns 4 was produced to let SETI@Home
users "see" exactly where their patch of the heavens (that they are
currently processing), resides. This is typically a strip about 1
degree wide. It will also show you rise and set times for your area and
guide you to find it in your own evening sky.

Distant Suns will also print out start charts, let you save and restore
historical astronomical events, orbit above the Earth or any
other planet and add new objects as they are discovered.

Full online documentation is provided along with nightly astronomical
activities for the whole family.

The SETI version of Distant Suns will work on Windows 3.1/95/98 and NT.
A Macintosh version is being considered.

==
Unsubscribe instructions: http://www.talkspace.net/mlists/setiathome.html
This list sponsored by talkspace.net: building space communities online.