Re: SETI public: Who's watching HD119850 now?

At 06:41 PM 11/29/99 -0800, Scot Stride wrote:
>Can someone refresh me on what the third verification test is after
multiple-site acquisition and off-axis pointing, is it drift-scan?

That would be a logical next step, as a signal which rises and falls in
amplitude in a manner consistent with the known beam pattern of the antenna
would appear to be following sidereal motion.  Next test after that would
most likely be differential Doppler signatures between the two sites (each
location would see a *specific* different Doppler curve).  I haven't heard
this from Seth or Jill, but suspect the reason they discounted this
particular signal is that the Doppler curves didn't match up.  I know that
has been the case with a few previous promising candidate signals.
H. Paul Shuch, Ph.D., CFII, FBIS
Executive Director, The SETI League, Inc.
433 Liberty Street, PO Box 555
Little Ferry NJ 07643 USA
voice (201) 641-1770;  fax (201) 641-1771
n6tx@setileague.org   www.setileague.org
Project Argus station FN11LH

"We Know We're Not Alone!"