Re: SETI public: TLC

At 06:34 PM 11/24/99 CST, Sean C. wrote:
> I heard of an idea purposed
>by SETI to possibly build a radio observatory on the far side of the moon
>where there would be no Earthly interference.  Does anyone have any further
>information on this subject?

One of the great champions of Lunar Farside SETI is Prof. Jean Heidmann of
the Paris Observatory.  Dr. Heidmann has convened an expert task-force to
propose just such a facility, with emphasis on building a suspended
reflector surface (Arecibo-style) in the 102 km diameter in Saha Crater.  I
have the honor of serving on Jean's committee, and will contribute what
ideas I can.  The science is certainly feasible, limited only by the cost
of lunar transport.  A proposal will be put forth to the European Space
Agency.  Although I personally see no short-term opportunity for funding, I
am nevertheless hopeful that this dream may indeed come about within my
lifetime.
H. Paul Shuch, Ph.D., CFII, FBIS
Executive Director, The SETI League, Inc.
433 Liberty Street, PO Box 555
Little Ferry NJ 07643 USA
voice (201) 641-1770;  fax (201) 641-1771
n6tx@setileague.org   www.setileague.org
Project Argus station FN11LH

"We Know We're Not Alone!"