From:          "Dr. Eric W. Davis" <ericdavis@nidsci.org>
To:            walt_williams@setv.org
Date:          Tue, 23 Nov 1999 16:05:50 -8
Subject:       Re: SETI public: To kick things off...
Cc:            richard@burke-ward.demon.co.uk

Richard and Walt:

Cognitive and sensorial based incommensurability will be the
driver of understandability or non-understandability between us
and "them".

Douglas A. Vakoch addresses this in his two Acta
Astronautica papers:

"The Dialogic Model: Representing Human Diversity In Messages to
Extraterrestrials", Acta Astronautica, vol. 42, no. 10-12, pp.
705- 710, 1998.

"Constructing Messages to Extraterrestrials: An Exosemiotic
Perspective", Acta Astronautica, vol. 42, no. 10-12, pp. 697-704,
1998.

Eric