Re: SETI public: To kick things off...

At 10:17 AM 11/24/99 +0000, Richard Burke-Ward wrote:

>to my original point: EIT-style meaning may be as rich and complex as our
>own, but so profoundly at odds with our own way of thinking and
>perceiving that mutual - or even one-way - comprehension is simply not a
>possibility.

There was a remarkable episode of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" which
portrayed this situation most elegantly.  A race of intelligent bipeds
communicated completely in metaphor.  Lacking a common cultural context for
communication, the Federation had written them off as "incomprehensible."
I think the episode was titled "Darmok."  It's a must-see for SETIzens.
H. Paul Shuch, Ph.D., CFII, FBIS
Executive Director, The SETI League, Inc.
433 Liberty Street, PO Box 555
Little Ferry NJ 07643 USA
voice (201) 641-1770;  fax (201) 641-1771
n6tx@setileague.org   www.setileague.org
Project Argus station FN11LH

"We Know We're Not Alone!"