Re: SETI public: To kick things off...

At 10:17 AM 11/24/99 +0000, Richard Burke-Ward wrote:

>to my original point: EIT-style meaning may be as rich and complex as our
>own, but so profoundly at odds with our own way of thinking and
>perceiving that mutual - or even one-way - comprehension is simply not a
>possibility.

There was a remarkable episode of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" which portrayed this situation most elegantly.  A race of intelligent bipeds communicated completely in metaphor.  Lacking a common cultural context for communication, the Federation had written them off as "incomprehensible."  I think the episode was titled "Darmok."  It's a must-see for SETIzens.