Re: SETI public: To kick things off...

Detection of an undecipherable signal tells us more than "you are not
alone."  There is is also "we are right here."  Once we know that we can
learn things just by observing them, admittedly from afar.  And if they
are detected a tremendous amount of resources will become available for
research on them.

Of course an undecipherable message could be deciphered at any time.

73,
Daniel Fox
KF9ET