Re: SETI public: To kick things off...

>Even an undecipherable message has important information content, for it
>can be interpreted as "you are not alone."

True, opf course, Paul. But imagine the depth of frustration at knowing
'they' were there, and being utterly unable to decipher their
communication system, or construct one which they could decipher.

We would gain a new piece of knowledge, certainly - but we would
simultaneously define the limits of our future knowledge. The fact of
their presence might be all we ever know.

Richard