Re: Public: Science news posts & Mediocrity (META)

David Woolley wrote:

> >         The problem arises when some of the empirical SETIzens feel that the
> > list will be diluted beyond usefulness by the more philosophical messages.
>
> The problem is not philosophical messages, it was general space science
> and astrobiology postings.  The Argus list covers the specific technical
> issues for amateur SETI and newsgroups like sci.space.news cover general
> space news and space advocacy.
>
> I almost left the old seti list because of the almost total lack of
> on topic material (R.O. produced so few on topic articles that I gave
> up looking for the exceptions)...The problem with the old list is... that
> I was filtering about 95% of the articles ... because their
> reposter had established a reputation for not SETI.

Hello David,

Let's make a new start. First, with respect to the reposted articles,
I acted as a conduit because Larry [due to server problems that Bob
Cutter could not, through no fault of his own, solve] could not post
them himself.  That is now a non-issue, because he can post to
the new PUBLIC list.  I am not in any way apologizing for the forwarded
items, only explaining (once again) my association with them.

Second, because of the time-difference, you may not have received
a reply I sent to Amanda Baker Sun, 21 Nov 1999 18:53:58 -0500 as
part of this thread. I hope you will read it.  I do intend to post to
PUBLIC and I think Paul has specified clear guidelines for relevance
and acceptable format. This, too, is now a non-issue.

So from today forward, let's try to share information and inspiration
in a productive way, and forget issues that are now history.

Best wishes,

Bob

Robert M. Owen
Director