Re: Public: Science news posts & Mediocrity

At 08:05 PM 11/21/99 -0500, Larry Klaes wrote:
>Does the new edition also mention Optical SETI?  The original
>edition in 1990 only did so through a science fiction story
>by Ben Bova, written in 1962.  Hopefully the perspective has
>widen a bit since then.

Richard Factor has The SETI League's copy at the moment, so I can't check.
I certainly hope OSETI is included.  I was dismayed to read the OSETI
article in Time magazine on 30 August (page 45)--  it mentioned Freeman
Dyson, Dan Werthimer, Charles Townes, and Paul Horowitz, but glaringly
omitted our own Stuart Kingsley, the first person in the world to actually
*do* a real OSETI search.

H. Paul Shuch, Ph.D., CFII, FBIS
Executive Director, The SETI League, Inc.
433 Liberty Street, PO Box 555
Little Ferry NJ 07643 USA
voice (201) 641-1770;  fax (201) 641-1771
n6tx@setileague.org   www.setileague.org
Project Argus station FN11LH

"We Know We're Not Alone!"