Public: Science news posts & Mediocrity

Hello Amanda, Richard, et al,

>Amanda
I don't really know what Richard means about 'vaguely
SETI-related science'.

>Walt I think we all know what Richard Burke-Ward means by that.
The continual posting of articles that have NOTHING to do with
searching for ETI.  Originally I thought that these postings
might help restore the vigor that existed on Bob Cutter's open
SETI list prior to the DI attack on the list --the so-called
'EQ-Pegasi Hoagx'. But it hasn't. The vast majority of these
posts have nothing to do with narrow-band (far-away) SETI or
Near Earth SETI.

>Amanda
In my personal opinion, the search for conditions suitable for
life in the Solar System (eg Europa), and for planets around
other stars, for example, are strongly and closely SETI-related
subjects.

>Walt
Amanda, I struggle with your point, as I too am interested in
these subjects, especially in the context of life in the cosmos.
However, the problem I see with this point is that we (meaning
people such as myself who are actively searching for technical
signatures of ETI), we are looking for ExtraTerrestrial
INTELLIGENCE, not microbes or how microbes can survive the rigors
of space inside a rock "blasted" off a planet via a meteoric
impact.  It is interesting, but unrelated how ETI may
be sending us signals or how ETI may be visiting Earth. The
allure of this group has always been its central theme,
searching for technical signatures ET Intelligence. That is what
makes this group special. There are many space, astronomy and
astrobiology/exobiology lists out there in cyberspace.

But of course this is an open list.

>Amanda
Discussions about such projects also seem to be on-topic
according to the Web notes quoted above.

>Walt
Yup, as we slip into mediocrity and the talent starts looking
elsewhere.

Best Regards,

Walt Williams, 99.11.20
SETV/OSR