SETI bioastro: Long-term evolution of orbits about a precessing oblate planet - 3 papers

From: LARRY KLAES (ljk4_at_msn.com)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2006 - 13:47:54 PDT

    Astrophysics, abstract
    astro-ph/0607522

    From: Michael Efroimsky [view email]

    Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 23:16:05 GMT (40kb)

    Long-term evolution of orbits about a precessing oblate planet. 2. The case
    of variable precession

    Authors: Michael Efroimsky

    Comments: Extended version of a paper to be published in ``Celestial
    Mechanics and Dynamical Astronomy."

    We continue the study undertaken in Efroimsky (2005a) where we explored the
    influence of spin-axis variations of an oblate planet on satellite orbits.
    Near-equatorial satellites had long been believed to keep up with the oblate
    primary's equator in the cause of its spin-axis variations. As demonstrated
    by Efroimsky and Goldreich (2004), this opinion had stemmed from an inexact
    interpretation of a correct result by Goldreich (1965). Though Goldreich
    (1965) mentioned that his result (preservation of the initial inclination,
    up to small oscillations about the moving equatorial plane) was obtained for
    non-osculating inclination, his admonition has been persistently ignored for
    forty years.

    It was explained in Efroimsky and Goldreich (2004) that the equator
    precession influences the osculating inclination of a satellite orbit
    already in the first order over the perturbation caused by a transition from
    an inertial to an equatorial coordinate system. It was later shown in
    Efroimsky (2005a) that the secular part of the inclination is affected only
    in the second order. This fact, anticipated by Goldreich (1965), remains
    valid for a constant rate of the precession. It turns out that non-uniform
    variations of the planetary spin state generate changes in the osculating
    elements, that are linear in the planetary equator's total precession rate,
    rate that includes the equinoctial precession, nutation, the Chandler
    wobble, and the polar wander.

    We work out a formalism which will help us to determine if these factors
    cause a drift of a satellite orbit away from the evolving planetary equator.

    http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0607522

    Astrophysics, abstract
    astro-ph/0607530