SETI bioastro: Terrestrial Planet Formation Surrounding Close Binary Stars

From: LARRY KLAES (ljk4_at_msn.com)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2006 - 19:49:23 PDT

    Astrophysics, abstract
    astro-ph/0607222

    From: Elisa Quintana [view email]

    Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:36:55 GMT (305kb)

    Terrestrial Planet Formation Surrounding Close Binary Stars

    Authors: Elisa V. Quintana, Jack J. Lissauer

    Comments: 60 pages, 4 tables, and 11 low resolution eps figures. Article
    with high resolution figures is available at this http URL . Accepted for
    publication in Icarus

    Disk material has been observed around both components of some young close
    binary star systems. It has been shown that if planets form at the right
    places within such disks, they can remain dynamically stable for very long
    times. Herein, we numerically simulate the late stages of terrestrial planet
    growth in circumbinary disks around 'close' binary star systems with stellar
    separations between 0.05 AU and 0.4 AU and binary eccentricities up to 0.8.
    In each simulation, the sum of the masses of the two stars is 1 solar mass,
    and giant planets are included. Our results are statistically compared to a
    set of planet formation simulations in the Sun-Jupiter-Saturn system that
    begin with essentially the same initial disk of protoplanets. The planetary
    systems formed around binaries with apastron distances less than ~ 0.2 AU
    are very similar to those around single stars, whereas those with larger
    maximum separations tend to be sparcer, with fewer planets, especially
    interior to 1 AU. We also provide formulae that can be used to scale results
    of planetary accretion simulations to various systems with different total
    stellar mass, disk sizes, and planetesimal masses and densities.

    http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0607222