SETI bioastro: The Optical Gravitational Lensing Experiment. Variable Baseline Microlensing Eve

From: LARRY KLAES (ljk4_at_msn.com)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2006 - 12:53:24 PDT

    Astrophysics, abstract
    astro-ph/0607134

    From: Lukasz Wyrzykowski [view email]

    Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 11:22:05 GMT (327kb)

    The Optical Gravitational Lensing Experiment. Variable Baseline Microlensing
    Events in the Galactic Bulge

    Authors: L.Wyrzykowski, A.Udalski, S.Mao, M. Kubiak, M.K.Szymanski,
    G.Pietrzynski, I.Soszynski, O.Szewczyk

    Comments: The paper with high quality figures is available from this http
    URL

    Journal-ref: Acta Astron. 56 (2006) 145

    We present the first systematic search for microlensing events with
    variability in their baselines using data from the third phase of the
    Optical Gravitational Lensing Experiment (OGLE-III). A total of 137
    candidates (88 new) was discovered toward the Galactic bulge. Among these,
    21 have periodic oscillations in their baselines, 111 are irregular
    variables and 5 are potential long period detached eclipsing binaries. This
    is about 10% of the total number of constant baseline events. They are hence
    quite common and can be regarded as a new type of exotic events, which allow
    the determination of extra parameters of the events. We show that
    microlensing of variable stars may allow us to break the degeneracy between
    the blending parameter and magnification. We note that in some cases
    variability hidden in the baseline due to strong blending may be revealed in
    highly magnified events and resemble other exotic microlensing behavior,
    including planetary deviation. A new system (VEWS) for detecting ongoing
    variable baseline microlensing events is presented.

    http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0607134