SETI bioastro: DIOS: the Diffuse Intergalactic Oxygen Surveyor

From: LARRY KLAES (ljk4_at_msn.com)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2006 - 12:09:18 PDT

    Astrophysics, abstract
    astro-ph/0607127

    From: Noriko Yamasaki [view email]

    Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 09:35:43 GMT (693kb)

    DIOS: the Diffuse Intergalactic Oxygen Surveyor

    Authors: T. Ohashi, M. Ishida, S. Sasaki, Y. Ishisaki, K. Mitsuda, N. Y.
    Yamasaki, R. Fujimoto, Y. Takei, Y. Tawara, A. Furuzawa, Y. Suto, K.
    Yoshikawa, H. Kawahara, N. Kawai, T. G. Tsuru, K. Matsushita, T. Kitayama

    Comments: 9 pages, 11 figures, a proceedings of SPIE "Astronomical
    Telescopes and Instrumentation" 2006

    We present our proposal for a small X-ray mission DIOS (Diffuse
    Intergalactic Oxygen Surveyor), consisting of a 4-stage X-ray telescope and
    an array of TES microcalorimeters, cooled with mechanical coolers, with a
    total weight of about 400 kg. The mission will perform survey observations
    of warm-hot intergalactic medium using OVII and OVIII emission lines, with
    the energy coverage up to 1.5 keV. The wide field of view of about 50'
    diameter, superior energy resolution close to 2 eV FWHM, and very low
    background will together enable us a wide range of science for diffuse X-ray
    sources. We briefly describe the design of the satellite, performance of the
    subsystems and the expected results.

    http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0607127