SETI bioastro: A Catalog of Spectroscopically Confirmed White Dwarfs from the Sloan Digital Sky

From: LARRY KLAES (ljk4_at_msn.com)
Date: Sat Jul 01 2006 - 16:36:59 PDT

    Astrophysics, abstract
    astro-ph/0606700

    From: Daniel Eisenstein [view email]

    Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:19:43 GMT (581kb)

    A Catalog of Spectroscopically Confirmed White Dwarfs from the Sloan Digital
    Sky Survey Data Release 4

    Authors: Daniel J. Eisenstein, James Liebert, Hugh C. Harris, S.J.
    Kleinmann, Atsuko Nitta, Nicole Silvestri, Scott A. Anderson, J.C.
    Barentine, Howard J. Brewington, J. Brinkmann, Michael Harvanek, Jurek
    Krzesinski, Eric H. Neilsen Jr., Dan Long, Donald P. Schneider, Stephanie A.
    Snedden

    Comments: Accepted by the Astrophysical Journal Supplements, 25 pages, 24
    figures, LaTeX. The electronic catalog, as well as diagnostic figures and
    links to the spectra, is available at this http URL

    We present a catalog of 9316 spectroscopically confirmed white dwarfs from
    the Sloan Digital Sky Survey Data Release 4. We have selected the stars
    through photometric cuts and spectroscopic modeling, backed up by a set of
    visual inspections. Roughly 6000 of the stars are new discoveries, roughly
    doubling the number of spectroscopically confirmed white dwarfs. We analyze
    the stars by performing temperature and surface gravity fits to grids of
    pure hydrogen and helium atmospheres. Among the rare outliers are a set of
    presumed helium-core DA white dwarfs with estimated masses below 0.3 Msun,
    including two candidates that may be the lowest masses yet found. We also
    present a list of 928 hot subdwarfs.

    http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0606700