SETI bioastro: Fw: Crreationism in Ohio/Skeptics in the Pub and more

From: LARRY KLAES (ljk4@msn.com)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 12:55:53 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: Barry Karr
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 2:25 PM
To: CSICOP-ANNOUNCE@LISTSERV.AOL.COM
Subject: Crreationism in Ohio/Skeptics in the Pub and more

1) Creationism in Ohio

The Ohio Board of Education is currently considering downplaying evolution
content in their new science standards, removing references to the age of
the earth, and including "Intelligent Design theory" -the idea that life
cannot be scientifically explained -i.e. without recourse to supernatural
events. Legislation has been introduced into Ohio's House & Senate, that
would give instructional time to so-called "scientific alternatives" to
evolution whenever evolution is taught in Ohio's classrooms. Intelligent
Design "theory" is the political heir to the "creation-science" movement
of the 1980's whose "equal time" laws were found unconstitutional by the
US Supreme Court in 1987. Its backers are serious, well-spoken,
well-funded, and well-organized. The Ohio situation is the tip of the
iceberg. Similar situations will be arising in other states in the next
few years. FMI see www.ohioscience.org

When intellectual issues arise in public policy, it is the obligation of
universities to help the public understand the issues and access further
resources. Thus, we are extremely happy to see Case Western taking on that
role.

EVOLUTION & GOD
Why Intelligent Design Theory Isn't Science

Case Western Reserve University's Center for Policy Studies is pleased to
announce a public presentation -FREE and open to the public- 1 pm, March
2, 2002, at the Allen Theater, Playhouse Square, Cleveland, OH:

Speakers:

STEPHEN JAY GOULD
KENNETH MILLER
LAWRENCE KRAUSS
CYNTHIA BEALL

Cynthia Beall
Sarah Idell Pyle Professor of Anthropology,
And member of the National Academy of Sciences
Moderator

Lawrence Krauss
Ambrose Swasey Prof of Physics, Prof. of Astronomy, and Chair of Physics,
Case Western Reserve University
author of "The Physics of Star Trek" & "Atom: An Odyssey from the Big Bang
to Life on Earth"
"The Nature of Science and the Current Situation in Ohio"

Stephen Jay Gould
Alexander Agassiz Professor of Zoology, Harvard University
author of "Wonderful Life", & "Rocks of Ages"
"The Factuality of Evolution &
The Non-Scientific Nature of Intelligent Design Theory"

Kenneth R. Miller
Professor of Biology, Brown University
Author of "Finding Darwin's God"
"Looking for God in All the Wrong Places:
Do the Details of Life Reveal Design or Evolution?"

This event is co-sponsored by the College Scholars Program, the Hallinan
Project, and CWRU's departments of Astronomy, Biology, Geology, Physics,
Anthropology, Philosophy, and Religion.

This event is FREE and open to the public
1 pm, March 2, 2002
Allen Theater, Playhouse Square, Cleveland, OH:
1501 Euclid Ave, Downtown

FMI Patricia Princehouse, Dept of Philosophy pmp7@cwru.edu
Joe White, Dept of Political Science jxw87@po.cwru.edu
CWRU www.cwru.edu

2) Skeptics in the Pub

Hi again Doesn't time fly when you're having fun? Our first speaker for 2002 was a great success. All present enjoyed John Wall's discussion of alternative history. John wowed us with a multi-media spectacle in which he covered the major areas of Alternative History, ranging from those who believe that little green men were responsible for the appearance of pyramids on both sides of the Atlantic (despite the facts that (1) the easiest way to build big things is to pile rocks up(!) (2) the pyramids of the Aztecs and the Egyptians were used for different purposes: burial chambers for the Egyptians and temples for the Aztecs and (3) were created at completely different historical ages) to those who think they have discovered ancient maps of Antarctica among other places. John went into some detail about Graham Hancock, suggesting from numerous quotes from his books and other sources that Hancock's views aren't quite as moderate as you might believe if your only source of information was his Monday night tele show. When are we going to ask Channel Four for a skeptical show? Thanks John. We also had a good chuckle about Uri Geller's claims that the palindromic date/time combo 20:02 20 02 2002 was in anyway mysterious. One brave member stared into Uri's eyes as published in a daily tabloid at the appointed time, but he failed to see a blue or orange glow as promised. None of my keys were bent at the end of the evening... how about yours? I read out Uri's analysis of the combination11:11 which he says mysteriously appears to millions of people worldwide on their digital clocks every day! Wow! I wasn't making it up, here's the link to prove it: http://www.tcom.co.uk/hpnet/articles/11.htm. Our March speaker is the President of the Theosophical Society. Colin Price will be presenting on 'the Theosophical view of nature' on Wednesday 13 March 2002 at the usual place and time. I'm sure this will be a stimulating and interesting evening for all concerned. I've been asked to call for a reviewer for 'The Mothman Prophecies" by John A Keel. This book has recently been made into a film, starring Richard Gere. The call was made by Alex McLintock who runs http://news.DiverseBooks.com/. If you're keen please contact Alex at alex@diversebooks.com. Don't forget to check out our website for the most up-to-date info about what's happening and when: http://www.skeptics.org.uk/pub. That's all from me for now. Have a good fortnight. See you at the FN Cheers Nick Pullar

3) Articles of Note

Behind the Hum
Kokomo Mayor Requests Funding to Investigate Hum
The Associated Press

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/kokomo020226.html

K O K O M O, Ind., Feb. 26 — Mayor James Trobaugh has asked the City Council for $100,000 to investigate a mysterious hum that some city residents say is causing health problems ranging from headaches to nausea.

Delray psychic accused of swindling dying man out of $300,000
By Mitch Lipka
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-pppsychic26feb26.story

"Like many who seek the guidance of psychics, Leroy Hoffert was desperate.
The West Boynton Beach man had just been diagnosed with terminal leukemia,
and he wanted hope."

Crowds gather to witness cross of light
By Darrell Smith
The Desert Sun
http://www.thedesertsun.com/news/stories/specialreports/1014516408.shtml

"For the hundreds gathered behind the humble double-wide mobile home at the
end of a dirt road, the image before them was unmistakable."

Scientist: Legendary City of El Dorado Exists
By Rossella Lorenzi
Discovery News
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20020225/eldorado.html

"El Dorado, the fabled city of gold, did exist and was even evangelized by
Jesuit missionaries, according to the findings of a Lima University
archaeologist."

Miracle to happen in April, Mama Mary tells visionaries
Philippine Inquirer News Service
http://www.inq7.net/lif/2002/feb/24/lif_7-1.htm

"SINCE the first apparition of Our Lady in the mountain of San Sebastian de
Garabandal on June 18, 1961, the Workers of Our Lady of Mount Carmel have
continued to propagate devotion to her while awaiting the Church's
recognition of the apparitions' authenticity."

Deconstructing Darwin
By JOHN HEYS
Columbia Missourian
http://digmo.org/news/state/premium/0224state7104.html

"Textbooks often answer where life came from with a simple answer:
Evolution. But for William Harris, a medical professor at St. Luke’s
Hospital in Kansas City, the usual mechanisms of evolution are not enough."