SETI bioastro: Fw: Space-Based Missile Defense Needed to Thwart Asteroid Attacks

From: LARRY KLAES (ljk4@msn.com)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 13:21:02 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: baalke@jpl.nasa.gov
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2002 12:40 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: Space-Based Missile Defense Needed to Thwart Asteroid Attacks

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/deflection_asteroids_020214.html

Space-Based Missile Defense Needed to Thwart Asteroid Attacks
space.com
By Robert Roy Britt

Earth is little more than a sitting duck in a cosmic shooting gallery, the
scientists tell us. But that doesn't mean we can't shoot back. If an
asteroid is ever found to have our planet in its sights, a carefully aimed
missile can simply knock the rock off course.

There's one little problem. It's hard to deflect something that's coming
right at you.

Any boxer understands this. A slight bit of energy applied to a punch in the
right way can turn a roundhouse into a harmless glancing blow. But if you
try and stop an upper cut by driving your chin directly into it, you'll go
down for the count.

Claudio Maccone at the Center for Astrodynamics in Turin, Italy, has a
boxer's eye for asteroids, and he's developed what he claims is the best
plan for protecting Earth.

Put missiles in space, Maccone says, and hit the asteroids at an angle.

Full story here:

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/deflection_asteroids_020214.html