SETI bioastro: Fw: a message from Ray Bradbury

From: LARRY KLAES (ljk4@msn.com)
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 21:02:44 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: Ray Bradbury
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 2:07 PM
To: Planetary Society
Subject: a message from Ray Bradbury

Dear Friends,

Twenty years ago, I had my first "Martian encounter"
with Planetary Society co-founders Carl Sagan and
Bruce Murray, along with Arthur C. Clarke and Walter
Sullivan, at Caltech in Pasadena.

It was clear that this mob of bright minds understood
that we do not go to other worlds because they are
there, but because we must. Some day, I know we will
prevail on Mars and the other planets, putting forth
something of ourselves and shouting, "I'll be damned!
Yes! We had a vision. Now we know it was right!"

As you know, playing a part in this journey into
space has often been the province of just a select
few scientists and engineers. But thanks to The
Planetary Society, other dreamers like us - hundreds
of thousands of us from around the world - have had
the chance to play a direct and meaningful role in
the exploration of other worlds.

In fact, we Members of the Society, united by our
commitment to uncovering new knowledge about the
stars and planets that share our corner of the galaxy,
have often been the driving force that has kept this
journey alive.

Indeed, time and time again, our efforts have led to
some of the most exciting advances in space science
and exploration in the past two decades.

Like Carl and the rest of us, you, too, understand
that we have no choice but to explore those other
worlds. You know how important it is for our
visionary Society to remain strong, vibrant, and
able to "make it happen".

That is why I hope you will join me in giving
Planetary Society Gift Memberships this holiday
season to your friends, colleagues, and family
members. Your help will ensure that we make
this grand adventure come to fruition.
https://planetary.org/gift_membership.html

Happy Holidays.

Sincerely,

Ray Bradbury
____________________________________

Gift Memberships to The Planetary Society-
To give someone you know the chance to
participate directly in space exploration,
order your gift memberships online at:
https://planetary.org/gift_membership.html
or call at 1-800-969-6277

Order by December 11 for Christmas Delivery
in the Continental US

P.S. A Free Holiday Gift - All new members to
The Planetary Society will receive the
"Pale Blue Dot" poster inscribed with
Carl Sagan's inspirational words.

________________________________

You have been subscribed to The Planetary Society's
e-mail update because, at some point in the past,
you indicated a desire to receive additional
information in this format. To change
your email address, please send an email to
tps.mbl@planetary.org .

The Planetary Society was founded in 1980 by
Carl Sagan, Bruce Murray, and Louis Friedman to
encourage the exploration of our solar system and
the search for extraterrestrial life. With more
than 100,000 members from over 140 countries,
we are the largest space interest group on Earth.
Membership is open to all people interested in
our mission.

Not already a member? Join today at:
https://planetary.org/JoinUs.html

If you are interested in the future of planetary
exploration, please contact us at
comments@planetary.org with your thoughts,
questions, and concerns.