SETI bioastro: FW: GREEN LIGHT FOR DEEP IMPACT MISSION DEVELOPMENT

From: Larry Klaes (larry.klaes@incent.com)
Date: Thu May 24 2001 - 11:16:55 PDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Kellogg [mailto:lkellogg@mail.arc.nasa.gov]
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2001 1:00 PM
To: lunar-update@lists.arc.nasa.gov
Cc: Larry Kellogg
Subject: GREEN LIGHT FOR DEEP IMPACT MISSION DEVELOPMENT

Good day to you who are looking up. And what will you see? Get your
CCD cameras and telescopes ready, a new movie in the making. Maybe
your home video.

--------
http://deepimpact.umd.edu/stsp/index.html

Welcome to the Small Telescope Science Program's Homepage for the
Deep Impact Mission The Small Telescope Science Program (STSP) is a
joint effort between
technically-proficient amateur astronomers, professional astronomers with
discretionary telescope time, and private observatories to gather valuable
ground-based optical data on Comet Tempel 1, the target of the Deep Impact
Mission.
---------

I have copied the NASA Headquarters News release indicating a robotic
spacecraft mission to blow a hole in a comet has been approved. What
do we see inside?

NASA GIVES GREEN LIGHT FOR DEEP IMPACT MISSION DEVELOPMENT

---------

I have also repeated the announcement of the on line availability of
the "Ride report" I had not read the report before and I have been
comparing it with where we are today. Much food for thought.

Many of the anticipated dates have slipped, still it lists the things
that not only the US could do to be a leader in space exploration,
but I think, gives a very good description of what most of you would
like to see happen, with everyone around the world being participants.

If you have not looked at the report, may I suggest you do. Just
substitute your home town for the USA and think about what you would
like to see happen.

Check off the accomplishments world wide and see what still needs to
be done to make us truly space faring nations. (note: the PDF version
is in several files and I needed to find a computer with Acrobat
Reader 4.0 on it to have the index live - and some nice images as
well as a number of charts - you will need them as the HTML version
leaves them out)

---------
As you may have noted in some of the other news letters, a Russian
supply vessel docks with international space station
http://www.spacedaily.com/news/010523004805.qiyeu8hn.html
* Progress Brings Food and Supplies to Station Alpha
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/missions/progress_docks_010522.html

This was an automatic docking of an un-manned supply vessel. Along
those same lines, the company I work for, Orbital Sciences Corp.,
just got an award from Marshall Space Flight center to build some
equipment for a Demonstration of Autonomous Rendezvous Technology
(DART). See a snip at end. Just one of many opportunities that will
help us expand into space.
----------

Boy, are we excited!! How about you? Do the things you see while
looking up get you heart pounding? Are you really excited? I think
there are many reasons to be so. You ARE making it happen, and that
could be a dosimeter from Hungary for use on the ISS, or an imaging
satellite helping check on rain fall (or lack there of) To you who
are looking up, have a great day.

Special K.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast23may_1.htm?list500796
Farmers will soon have a new tool for getting the most out of their
fields. NASA's Aqua satellite will provide crucial information about
the water in the ground and the weather on the horizon.

NASA Leadership and America's Future in Space:
A Report to the Administrator by Dr. Sally K. Ride, August 1987.
Commonly known as the Ride report, this document is available from
http://history.nasa.gov/riderep/cover.htm on the Web in an html
version (with fully searchable text) and a pdf version (with
full-color graphics). Special thanks to Mike Walker, Eracenia
Kennedy, and Diane Reid, for their assistance with document scanning
and preparation.

Preface Page 5
    http://history.nasa.gov/riderep/preface.htm
Introduction 7