SETI bioastro: Detecting Other Worlds: The Wobble Method

From: Larry Klaes (larry.klaes@incent.com)
Date: Thu May 24 2001 - 10:03:07 PDT

Detecting Other Worlds: The Wobble Method

http://www.space.com/searchforlife/seti_wobble_method_010523.html

As of this writing, we know of 60 extrasolar planets, all giants in
comparison to our tiny Earth. Almost all of them have been discovered using
what can be colloquially called the "Wobble Method." This is an indirect
method, which means the presence of a planet is inferred -- in this case, by
a planet's effect on the star it orbits.

* Canadian University Works to Sustain Life in Deep Space

http://www.space.com/news/deepspace_life_010522.html

Life on Mars is one step closer to reality today. The University of Guelph
in Ontario, Canada officially opened its Controlled Environment Systems
Research Facility and launched a new element of the country's space
program -- sustaining life in deep space.